I am really excited.
And I learned to read Greek!
Anyway, I felt I might use this week to fill you all in on some stuff I've been too busy to share previously. First, a little about recreational activities in Cairo. Egyptian society, supposedly the most religious in the world, frowns severely upon alcohol consumption. We Americans enjoy pointing out (far from Egyptians' ears) that chain smoking cigarettes and/or hashish, though more culturally acceptable here, is equally ignoble and likely more harmful to their health. Anyhoo. The point is, though the drinking age is 18 (and for those who are counting, I'm 21 anyway), bars are scarce, sketchy, and often expensive, as they are catered toward tourists and less pious (male) Egyptians. Additionally, security guards search our bags for alcohol every time we enter the dorms. As a result, when we feel the need to let loose a little, we opt for the limited privacy of a boat.
Last weekend we celebrated my friend Steve's birthday. Renting a felucca boat is extremely easy, as it's not tourist season yet and all the captains jump at the prospect of customers. For about $30 you can put 30 people on a boat for a couple of hours and cruise around El Geziira, the island in the Nile that we live on. It's great. I would like to point out to any scandalized readers that these are not outrageous parties. We bring a little Egyptian Stella or Omar Khayyam (Egyptian wine... predictably sub-par), plug an iPod into the boat's speaker system, and relax under the glare of tacky pink and green Christmas lights.
And as I AM here to study, I might mention a neat field trip I took the day after Steve's party. Four of my friends came along, making it a delightful day full of Egyptology and fun. We headed south of Cairo and past the Giza complex to some of the "less impressive" Old and Middle Kingdom pyramids in Dahshur, Meidum, and the Fayyum. Lovely scenery outside Cairo:

We headed to the Fayyum next, an area southwest of Cairo that was prime agricultural land after Ptolemeic rulers connected the area to Nile canals. It was a hugely important area beginning around 300 BCE. Here we checked out the Hawara Pyramid and saw the site of Egypt's famous labyrinth, which no longer exists (Herodotus and Strabo, the Greek scholars who told us pretty much everything we know about Ancient Egypt, wrote extensively about it). We also visited the extensive ruins of a town near Karanis in the northern Fayyum. Glorious mud brick ruins of homes, two stone temples, and a neat doorway perched on a hilltop.
4 comments:
!
Nice to see some of the pyramids outside of Giza. And more of rural Egypt. PBS program on Kenya coming on. Later!
SeaE
I really enjoyed your last entry, many aspects of Cairo sound a lot like Beijing. I too find myself longing for open green spaces...
please update soon!! i want to know about greece!!
Post a Comment