So let's talk Cairo. I'm going to try to separate my personal experiences from broader ones, but that's fairly difficult to do. It's your duty to take this with a grain of salt; I'm not miserable, and some days I'm truly charmed by this city... most days, not.
Cairo is has too many people, too many buildings, too many cars, too much trash, too much smog, and too little green space. That's actually not a bad way for me to approach this discussion. So! There are 18 million people crammed into this city, and they are not always happy people. Urban overcrowding + lack of physical contact = good for no one's mood. In my experience, Cairenes are generally the least friendly of any Egyptians I've met. I've definitely met some great Cairenes, but they are not as openly welcoming as folks from outside the city. Life here is stressful for the vast majority of people, to put it mildly. These pictures are mostly taken from the bus on the ride back to Zamalek... sorry for the poor quality and highway railings.
Air pollution is mildly terrifying here. Between the millions of cars, low emission standards, cement factories, and sand/dust, the city is always in a haze. The policemen who direct traffic in Cairo have some of the lowest sperm counts in Egypt. There's a thick coat of dirt and grime on every surface, which makes the city perpetually gray-brown. Most people don't bother painting their buildings anymore... it's all gray in a couple of months. I've developed mild asthma since arriving here. The sunsets are beautiful, at least, and I can get some minimally fresh air in Zamalek and outside Cairo.
The air quality would surely be better if there were green space in the city. Zamalek is probably the greenest area, but there aren't even tiny public parks, much less big ones where we could go play frisbee or have a picnic. This is a major qualm I have with the city. Green space is fenced off and owned by private clubs. You can pay fees to enter them, but I'm a student, so I don't do that kind of thing. Thus, the only places to get out and relax are coffee shops and cafes, and that's not really my scene. I just want to lie in some grass, but I suspect it's going to have to wait until June.
Sadly, I really don't enjoy living in this city. It's definitely interesting, and I'm fine being here for a few months, but I'd never choose to live here longer. There are plenty of little things I enjoy. The Nile is beautiful in the morning. Islamic Cairo has some of the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen. There's a little bakery about five minutes away where I can get a sizable slice of gourmet cake or a fresh pastry for less than $1. On the bus ride home from AUC every day, at sunset, I watch men wave red flags from rooftops to call their pigeons in for feeding time. Five times a day, you can hear hundreds of calls to prayer echoing through the city. So I make do.
6 comments:
I like the "It's zucchini" line. Could apply to life in general, I suppose. Sorry that Cairo has grown in such nasty directions since I visited there. I don't remember it being that bad. Lungs can be clean again. And grass, green. Enjoy Greece!
SeaE
I suppose saying that it is Zucchini is no stanger than saying it is "nuts".
State Fair MOM
Is that my mom? I think it is. Have you been to Al Azhar park yet? Yes, it costs a few pounds to get in, but it's an Aga Khan project. And it's green. Very green. Also not near Zamalek. Make it an adventure. Grab Greg because I keep trying to get him to go because he misses grass.
busted.
State Fair MOM
Your description of crossing the street made me think of frogger.
I'm super jealous you get to go to Greece!
Every big city is less glamorous in person.
Post a Comment