Wednesday, January 9

Fortunately, I am an optimist.

Holy crap.

I can't believe I've only been here 24 hours.

Despite mechanical problems with my planes in both KC and Detroit, I made it to Nairobi. I had a long layover in Detroit, we had a tailwind over the Atlantic, and I sprinted through the Amsterdam airport, so I made all my connecting flights. Obviously I am destined to be here right now. Hahaha. Anyway, the flight was gorgeous - the sky was crystal clear over Europe. Flew into Amsterdam at dawn, ate lunch over the Alps, took a nap over the Mediterranean and woke up over the Sahara. Northern Kenya was the most interesting to fly over, though. It was dark by that time, and there were almost no lights in sight. It would be a sea of darkness and then a single campfire, or a few grouped campfires... so different from the oceans of light you see when you fly over the US. The Turkana region is completely different from Nairobi though, so don't get any ideas about me camping. Nairobi is very much like a small Washington, DC.

The moment I realized (in my exhaustion and delirium) that I was actually in Africa was when I saw the trees on the drive from the airport to the apartment. None of the trees here grow in North America, of course, but that isn't really something I considered ahead of time. You know those trees you see lions sleeping under in PBS shows? Yeah. They're everywhere. Along with palm trees and huge, bright, tropical flowers. The weather is perfect - the air is 75 degrees, but in the sun it's quite a bit hotter. Oh, and I saw a monkey today.. it was chilling on a brick wall in Jamhuri Park. I am at a loss for words.

Nairobi is incredibly beautiful and ugly at the same time. It's SO green, but also rather dirty between the red dust and exhaust. It does smell better than DC, though. I keep forgetting any kind of unrest is going on. I've seen nothing remotely unusual after walking and driving all over the city today. Stores are open, buses are running as usual, vendors are selling mangos and pineapples on the street, and people are walking around everywhere.

This morning I woke up fairly early to go with the group to a really intense yoga class. Tomorrow I'll feel awful I'm sure, but the work out will help me get over my jetlag. This afternoon we went to Jamhuri Park, where many of the slum residents (mostly from Kibera) displaced by the violence can get shelter, food, and clothes. There were too many volunteers for them to need our help much, but we played with some of the children and helped the Red Cross load trucks with supplies. It was so interesting to see it all, though I wish we could have done more to help.

After that we explored Westlands (our neighborhood) a bit and I bought shampoo and toothpaste and such, then we cooked dinner for all the students and some Kenyan friends in our apartment. Things have just quieted down, and now we're waiting on the last three students to arrive. Orientation starts tomorrow! We'll be busy, but I hope I can update soon. I know we'll be visiting some of the internship sites, which means I'll get to see more of Nairobi, including the slums. Should be interesting. Also tiring. But I'll talk to you all soon!

Sorry for the rambling. I'm ridiculously excited to be here. The point is, I'm safe and very happy, and already a bit sunburned.

7 comments:

Reid said...

Glad you made it. Have a blast! I'm really looking forward to seeing more updates.

Reid said...

By the way, I'm listening to a conversation between my brother and my mother that involves my brother going to neighboring Tanzania in March.

Anonymous said...

:) I'm so glad to hear that. I got the package too. Sounds like an almost magical plane ride - just ticking off huge beautiful and famous landmasses/waterbodies like that.

Hah do you need me to send you a cowboy hat?

dmvs

Jake said...

so yes or no on that elephant?

why not a lion on PBS? I don't have one of those left.

Sounds like you have your hands full for a couple days. Enjoy them... so I you can write about them then I have something to read at work.

Anonymous said...

Freakin A, Africa huh? You're a crazy lucky girl! Glad to hear everything went smoothly..ish. Glad you're safe, how about that one? :) Anyway enjoy it as much as I'm sure you're expecting too.

Anonymous said...

my messages... are often never proof read... in case you haven't noticed. =P

Anonymous said...

Sound like you're having an amazing time! I'm so glad you are safe and well and happy. It feels like ages since I've seen you, even though it was only 4 days ago or something. I'll e-mail you soon and update you on how things are going here in the old U.S.
So much love,
Your wifey